Soft Rock

Let's start off with something mild... Soft Rock.
Soft Rock was one of the first genres of Rock I was introduced to back in the 1990's, although it was already around since the 1970's. Unlike normal Rock lyrics which usually revolve around drugs, sex, politics and other confrontational lyrics, Soft Rock took a lighter approach, and focused more on friendship, everyday life and romance, all sung with higher-pitched vocals,
and all in all, produces a more "ear-pleasing" listening for those who consider Rock as sound pollution. (Which you really shouldn't!)


Take The Archies for example. Everyone's familiar with their hit song, "Sugar, Sugar", which is a classic example of Soft Rock. Although categorized under Rock, The Archies did anything but head bang and jump around with an electric guitar... Which is the common perception of any genre of Rock. Now you know...




Some other examples of Classic Rock I will provide are my personal favorites.
The
re's "We've Only Just Begun" by The Carpenters, The Eagles with "Hotel California", "Tequila Sunrise" and "New Kid in Town" (all big hits!)... even Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately" falls under this lighter style of Rock.
Now let me name a few bands of our "era" which have been keeping Soft Rock Alive.
Goo Goo Dolls came up with "Iris", Train sang "Drops of Jupiter" and let's not forget Three Doors Down with "When I'm Gone".


If you're familiar with what can be considered as the greatest Dance movie of all time... Yes, Grease! John Travolta in tights you say?... Not my point. Remember the actress, Olivia Newton-John? Some of her songs fall under the Soft Rock category as well. Listen to "I Honestly Love You" to get a taste of her sweet melodious voice.

Now, these bands cannot be "fixed" under the Soft Rock category, as they have produced other types of Rock music as well. The songs mentioned above are merely examples, should one wonder about just what songs fall under this genre. Soft Rock is also sometimes referred to as Soft Adult Contemporary music, just so you know.

Well, that's that on Soft Rock. I would love to hear from you on your opinion on this genre, if this post was helpful, and if you have any songs you'd like to recommend to the readers.
Till next time, this is Amresh rocking off.

Here's a taste of some of the songs I mentioned. Enjoy!

Soft Rock
 

10 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous August 23, 2008 at 7:46 AM
    Wow....Iris is considered soft rock? How did u get the definition of soft rock? I'm just curious!
  2. Mooseiah August 23, 2008 at 10:29 PM
    lol! Riight. Uhm, for the most part, it's general knowledge? "soft" rock wouldn't be bout sex, drugs, and other controversial lyrics now would it? =)
    And bout when it started off and stuff, I got that info off several sites. Hope that helps
  3. Hako August 24, 2008 at 6:41 AM
    Hotel California is soft rock eh? :) What about the allegedly satanic lyrics? Like the whole reference to the beast, the master's chambers, Tiffany Twisted and her boys?

    You should review America and their hit Horse with No Name... it's a good song to stone to and apparently describes what a heroin high is quite accurately. What's your take on that?

    Oh yeah... I have a rare Gypsy Kings cover of Hotel California... if you don't think the Gypsy Kings suck and you want it, I could give it to you. :)
  4. JW Lam August 24, 2008 at 9:17 AM
    Oh yeah, the previous one under the name Hako, that's my personal blog account :P

    Anyways, I just have another question - what about pop rock? Like the Corrs (circa '96)and Michael Learns to Rock? How are they different from soft rockers?
  5. Grace August 25, 2008 at 9:31 PM
    Oh, I didn't see Sugar, Sugar as soft rock at all before.

    Haha, now I know soft rock can be a whole lot more than head banging songs. :P
  6. Janice Kee August 26, 2008 at 5:52 PM
    Songs from Grease categorised as Rock?
  7. Swami Gokul Ji August 31, 2008 at 1:48 AM
    good job... rock is getting some exposure finally... but i feel dat there's too much emphasis on soft rock... promote them heavy songs maan!! slayer, metallica, dream theater, cradle!

    \m/
  8. Mooseiah August 31, 2008 at 2:02 AM
    Woo, sorry. Haven't been checking me replies lol.
    Hako! Yes, Hotel California IS considered as soft rock. Like you said, "alleged" satanic lyrics. The main difference between each rock genre, would be the instruments, and tunes. Lyrics would be the secondary concern.

    Yes, I have heard of Horse with no name. A great song, but not soft rock. It's more of.. Folk rock? But anyway, moving to the issue of their lyric meaning. Some may say it refers to heroin, but, is that your personal take on it? Did you know the song was initially called the "Desert Song" then renamed to "A Horse with No Name"? Dewey Bunnel said this "I was messing around with some open tunings--I tuned the A string way down to an E, and I found this little chord, and I just moved my two fingers back and forth, and the entire song came from basically three chords. I wanted to capture the imagery of the desert, because I was sitting in this room in England, and it was rainy. The rain was starting to get to us, and I wanted to capture the desert and the heat and the dryness."

    So we'll have to actually wonder, what the hell is the damn song about? lol. Beats me!

    Moving on to your next question, pop rock is mostly guitar based. I think that is the main difference.
    And hey, I wouldn't mind that Gypsy Kings cover. Gimme!
  9. Mooseiah August 31, 2008 at 2:08 AM
    Yeh Grace believe me when I say, I'm learning A WHOLE lot more bout Rock now with this blog. It's really a HUGE genre with no solid definition for each sub-category.

    No, Janice. I was merely pointing out that Olivia Newton John, FROM Grease sang Soft-Rock songs. She wasn't just an actress for Grease, she did her own singing as well.

    Hope that clears up any misunderstandings.

    Cheers for the feedback gals!
  10. Mooseiah August 31, 2008 at 2:11 AM
    Haha, surely bro. I'm saving the best for last. =D

Something to say?