Progressive Rock

Instead of going straight to the definition of Progressive Rock, let me first introduce you to some of the bands which fall under this sub-category of Rock.

There's Pink Floyd and Genesis.. Bands we are all familiar with.
Upon more research into this genre, I was familiarized with bands such as King Crimson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Yes, Jethro Tull and a few others.

Now, honestly after listening to their songs, I must admit, I'm still not a real fan of Prog Rock as it is called.


Why? Well, here's the first thing you should know about Progressive Rock. The songs go on for more than the usual 4 minutes. It can drag on for about 13 minutes! I'm referring to Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond. You don't get any singing till after 7 minutes! If you're like me, that's a LONG time to wait. I've been told that some Prog Rock songs even go on for 30 minutes...



Also, Prog Rock has attached with it "jazzy" and almost classical elements, with a splash of electrical musical instruments as well. This makes the songs rather slow and mellow. I'm not saying the songs are not worth a listen. Lucky Man by ELP is quite soothing to the ears, but not a song I'd burn into a CD or upload onto my iPod.

Progressive Rock kicked off in the late 1960's and hit it big in the 70's in Europe
mostly. The usual themes covered history, religion, war, love and politics. One of the most disturbing songs I've heard so far, is Mama by Genesis. Try listening to the song, and I'd love to hear your take on the lyrics.

A few others songs I listened to was Epitaph by King Crimson, Aqualung by Jethro
Tull, and Starship Trooper by Yes! Of all of those, only Starship Trooper was something I rather liked. It was fast, and the lyrics spoke of the beauty and ugliness of life.

Just as any other form of Rock music, Prog Rock cannot be clearly defined and has gone through alot of changes and transformations. The evolution of Prog Rock led to sub-genres such as Neo Progressive, Prog Folk, Symphonic Prog and Metal Prog.

Other bands worth giving a few minutes listening to (Hah! A few mins? Hardly possible when it comes to Prog Rock) are Dream Theater and Frank Zappa.


For this time around, I'll not post up any songs from this genre, unless requests are made.

In short, not a sub-category of Rock I really enjoy, but hey, we all have different taste in music.
Feedback is more than welcome.

Here's a video of my best liked song by Genesis. This is DEFINITELY worth listening to.






 

3 comments so far.

  1. JW Lam September 7, 2008 at 7:31 AM
    Ha ha ha those names are familiar... probably because they appeared in this manga called Jojo's Bizarre Adventures. The mangaka names characters and super powers after these bands. What a pop-culture junkie. It got so bad they had to change a bunch of stuff around before they translated and released it into the US.

    Prog rock... does Yngwie Malmsteen's Overture 1662 count? I tried listening to it through many places on the 'Net but somehow it always hangs.

    I like Jehtro Tull. My father did not know that it was named after the inventor until I told him. Doofus XD
  2. McPot September 9, 2008 at 1:11 AM
    woohoo pink floyd !!!! awesomeness
  3. Mooseiah September 9, 2008 at 5:05 AM
    Hey JW! Woah, you serious? Manga characters named after rock bands?! Hahah that's hilarious.
    I'm not sure if Overture 1662 falls under Prog Rock. I haven't even listened to it, I'll have to check it out.

    Oh! Now that you mention it, is that Tull fella the "father of farmers" lol or smth? Wonder why they named themselves after him..

Something to say?